Friday, July 31, 2015

Splunkin' the Windows Firewall Log automagically

Splunk and Windows Firewall logging, gettin' the fields out.

I spent a a bit of time trying to figure out how to get SPLUNK to parse out our Window Firewall logs.  I found several sites explaining how it should work.
I was able to get Transforms working by using the site http://answers.splunk.com/answers/107278/windows-firewall-log-extraction-transforms.html .

For example, after feeding the logs into Splunk with a simple file monitor and forwarder, I would enter: " sourcetype=pfirewall | extract Transform_Windows_FW " and it would parse out the fields.


 I wanted this to happen automagically, so I tried the second part of the link above, where you edit the props.conf file.... fail.  So long story short, I edited the props.conf file to contain:
"

[pfirewall]
EXTRACT-date,time,action,protocol,src_ip,dst_ip,src_port,dst_port,size,info = ^(?P<date>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<time>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<action>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<protocol>\w+)[^ \n]* (?P<src_ip>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<dst_ip>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<src_port>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<dst_port>[^ ]+)\s+(?P<size>[^ ]+)(?:[^ \n]* ){8}(?P<info>\w+)


"
and added it to my search head.  Tested with IPv6 and it seems to work fine.
(Technically a co-worker tried this as I was trying other things, so he gets the credit)


p.s. You must edit the C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\props.conf file, not the one in the default folder, or you might mess up some default functionality of Splunk.


3 comments:

  1. We use splunk on ou 200 Cisco switches. Pretty cool data miner...at a mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent piece of information, I had come to know about your website from my friend kishore, pune,i have read atleast 8 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your site gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanx a lot once again, Regards,splunk training in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete