Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Macs, Windows 7, and SMB shares

I was recently creating a SMB share on one of my Mac 10.6 servers that acted funny.  It would keep asking me to log in, even though I had the correct credentials.  I accidentally discovered that a Windows 2008 R1 machine could hit it just fine... but my Windows 7 box could not.  This lead to a search of the internets, and I discovered a somewhat-related problem (it was actually crashing Samba on the server side)...  Someone on that blog wrote that it has to do with NTLM.  I figure the security permissions were changed from Windows 2008 R1 to R2, and also between Vista and Windows 7.  The post mentions to change a bunch of stuff in the "local security policy" of the Windows box to make it work.  I don't like changing a whole lot of security stuff, especially loosing it... so here is all I changed to make this work , citing "nikonz" from the site above for the original fix (with my changes):

"Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Local Security Policy

Local Policies --> Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Send LM & NTLM responses - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

There, once again my Macs and PCs are at peace with each other again.

3 comments: